Virtual Mix Tape #3

8:27 AM / Posted by Anonymous /


Stream/download

(Originalphoto by Jordan Trout)

I struggled with this since I just naturally over-analyze. I tried to compile a list of songs by theme, by a shared lyric, by message, but I really don't have the time for that junk. Instead, this is just a compilation of songs that I enjoy. Simple as that. I enjoy: fast beats, slow guitar, soundscapes, noise and ambiance, attitude, cuteness and (most of all) anything I can sing along with.

1. The Raveonettes - Hallucinations
2. Sybris - Hobo Detail Shop
3. The Kills - Last Day of Magic
4. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Young Adult Friction
5. Pelican - Sirius
6. Modest Mouse - Dramamine
7. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - 10 x 10
8. The Blow - Fists Up!
9. All Girl Summer Fun Band - It's There
10. Wanda Jackson - Hot Dog! That Made Him Mad
11. Laura Veirs - Pink Light
12. Bowerbirds - In Our Talons
13. Hanne Hukkelberg - Searching
14. Minus the Bear - Pachuca Sunrise (acoustic version)
15. Patsy Cline - Three Cigarettes in an Ashtray
16. Pretty Girls Make Graves - Bullet Charm

1. The Raveonettes - Hallucinations
Noise. Love.

2. Sybris - Hobo Detail Shop
I saw this Chicago band in 2005. Dartanian (local Denver band) opened for them (well, I think they opened). It wasn't such a great paring considering the leaps between genres and I think we (the fanatical followers of Dartanian) kind of freaked them out. Still Sybris were great to watch live and I loved the way that singer/guitarist Angela Mullenhour's lyrics slide out with a slight growl. I remember being totally lost in their music by the end of the first song -- I think they won all of us over during that set.

3. The Kills - Last Day of Magic
I think I hate this band but keep finding myself listening to a few tracks off their 2008 release: Midnight Boom. For two people, they are pretty loud and I can appreciate that. Plus, this song is catchy.

4. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Young Adult Friction
Anthony actually introduced me to this band and they are 100% up my alley. Also, I had no idea that this was their second single from their 2009 release until I just read that on Wikipedia. Huh. I guess I just have a good ear for A side songs.

5. Pelican - Sirius
This is a really girly song: A+. Seriously though, this is one of those great instrumentals that's amazing to drive to in a snowstorm.

6. Modest Mouse - Dramamine
Speaking of stuff that's good to drive to, this is another one of those songs, but it's more of a late autumn afternoon type of song than a winter one. Plus, it's really depressing and beautiful at the same time.

7. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - 10 x 10
I just really like the Is Is EP. Karen O is probably my favorite female vocalist and the yeah yeah yeahs are my favorite trio. Their songs are amazingly rich and solid and I think this is a really great example of something seemingly simple can rock most other shit under the table (or to bed -- whatever cliche works better for you).

8. The Blow - Fists Up!
The Blow, based out of Portland, doesn't give a shit about music. Well, maybe a bit. The music is just a small part of the art. I think it's just meant to accompany the visual creations and performance.

9. All Girl Summer Fun Band - It's There
Portland again. Cute. Bubble Gum. Adorable cuddlecore.

10. Wanda Jackson - Hot Dog! That Made Him Mad
More cute (rockabilly this time) from the 1950's. Wanda should probably be remembered for more than just dating Elvis for a short time because you can definitely her her influence on him.

11. Laura Veirs - Pink Light
Singer-songwriter-y. Ex roommate Jordan just introduced me to this chick last week and she's been getting a lot of play (on my personal music devices) since then.

12. Bowerbirds - In Our Talons
I like that this song is kind of like... sailor music (sailor music is pretty awesome) with a heavy dose of folk. So are group vocals (that aren't in the hardcore sense) since these ones aren't horribly cheesy. There's also an accordion, jerks.

13. Hanne Hukkelberg - Searching
She reminds me a bit of Bjork meets Joanna Newsome meets Billie Holliday... in Norway. Hukkelberg experiments with a lot of non-traditional instruments and found sounds.

14. Minus the Bear - Pachuca Sunrise (acoustic version)
Digging this acoustic version of Pachuca Sunrise (originally from 2005's Menos el Oso).

15. Patsy Cline - Three Cigarettes in an Ashtray
She wears heartache with class, like it's a silk dress.

16. Pretty Girls Make Graves - Bullet Charm
In my opinion, one of the best album ending songs.

(Can you tell I totally burnt out about halfway?)

- Laura

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment